What kind of rugs can you use on vinyl plank flooring?
Installing new Vinyl floors or refinishing new ones is a huge investment that requires lots of money.
The last thing you want is scratches, yellow stains, and other damages on your floors that cost you a fortune.
So what rugs are safe for vinyl plank flooring?
- 1 Safe Rugs For Vinyl Floors
- 2 Unsafe Rugs For Vinyl Floors
- 3 Best Vinyl Floor Rugs & Pads
- 4 Rugs Safe For Vinyl Plank Flooring
Safe Rugs For Vinyl Floors
Natural Rug material
Area rugs made from natural rug materials like jute, sisal, seagrass, wool, or cotton are safe for vinyl plank flooring.
Jute rugs are the best choices for use in plank flooring on low traffic areas like the bedroom.
Hand Woven rugs
Most of these are rugs made from natural fibers by skilled rug makers.
The advantage of such rugs is that you do not need to use any kind of rug pad or rug backing to keep them in place.
This way you can avoid yellow stains caused by rug pads or backing on your Vinyl floors.
You do not want a rug whose color bleeds or reacts with your floors.
The dyes in colorfast rugs do not bleed or shed even if the rug is exposed to water, heat, or sunlight.
Unsafe Rugs For Vinyl Floors
Rubber Backed Rugs
Rugs with rubber and latex backing will leave yellow stains on your floors.
Jute as a rug material is good, but you should avoid using rugs with jute backing on your vinyl floors because the roughness of the jute material might leave scratches on your floors.
Rugs made from synthetic fiber like Polypropylene, Nylon, and Chenille among others are not safe for use on vinyl floors.
These rugs are made from chemicals that will easily react with those on the floors leaving behind stains, patterns, and residue.
Are polypropylene rugs safe for vinyl plank floors?
No polypropylene rugs are not safe for vinyl plank floors.
It is true that polypropylene is stain-resistant, but the problem is that it’s not a colorfast rug which means it can easily cause discoloration problems on your floors.
Best Vinyl Floor Rugs & Pads
Vinyl Area Rugs
You can get this nuLOOM Jute Rug which has the following characteristics;
- It is made from 100% jute, a natural fiber
- It is hand-woven, a feature that makes this rug unique and durable.
- You can use this area rug in multiple places like the kitchen, living room, dining room, and hallways among other places.
- It has a sophisticated style that will blend well with farmhouse, coastal, casual, and any other home décor design.
- It’s easy to care for and wash with the right vacuum for delicate rugs or simply spot clean it to remove mild stains.
Vinyl Floor Runners
Check out this nuLOOM Seagrass Rug with the following amazing features;
- Made from 100% Seagrass natural fiber
- The fact that it’s made from natural fibers makes it eco-friendly and an ideal hypoallergic rug.
- It’s highly durable and that is why it’s ideal for use in high-traffic areas like the kitchen island and hallways.
- This kitchen runner is affordable and easy to clean.
Vinyl Rugs For Kitchen & Bathroom
- They are made from 100% natural fiber materials – cotton and bamboo respectively.
- Cotton is very soft and highly absorbent to keep your wet feet dry when you get out of the bathroom.
- Bamboo will not retain any water which will keep away pungent smells and excess moisture that can damage your vinyl floors.
- These rugs can be used in other places like kitchen sink area and bathtub areas among others.
- Both come with unique designs that will blend well with any existing home décor.
Rug Pad For Vinyl Plank Flooring
Sometimes you may choose to use a rug pad on vinyl flooring if you want to achieve the following;
- Protect your floors from coming into direct contact with chemicals on the rugs. The rug pad or backing will act as a barrier between the floor and the rug.
- Cushioning especially in high traffic areas where the wear and tear damage is likely to be more damaging to your floors.
- To Prevent slip or fall accidents caused by moving or sliding rugs, you will need a rug pad.
- To add extra thickness to your rugs and some warmth you can simply add another layer by using a rug pad.
The wrong choice of a rug pad will leave your vinyl floors with yellow stains, patterns, and residues among other problems.
AVOID any rug pad made from rubber, plastic, and any other type of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) on your vinyl floors.
INSTEAD GO FOR rugs pads made from 100% felt or those made from 100% natural fiber like cotton.
I recommend you check out this Mohawk Home Felt Rug Pad with the following characteristics;
- It is made from 100% Felt
- It is safe for use on any kind of flooring be it vinyl, hardwood, or laminate among others.
- It is thick enough to add extra cushioning, warmth to the underfoot, and more protection.
- It is highly durable, meaning it will serve you longer.
Rugs Safe For Vinyl Plank Flooring